Looking back on my first 150 days...
I arrived at Domodedovo airport on Saturday, August 27th, 2011, after a very crowded and uncomfortable flight over on United! Thank goodness for my bouts of narcolepsy, I was asleep before the plane ever left the gate and slept for the entire flight across the pond, only to wake up and have to sprint to my connecting flight in Frankfurt where I flew Lufthansa into Moscow. I highly recommend this carrier...free alcohol, real silverware, real glasses, real food and I wasn't even flying first:) I definitely took advantage of the FREE CHAMPAGNE!!!
BEAUTIFUL sunrise, somewhere over the Atlantic...TOUCHDOWN MOSCOW:)
|
After the luggage ordeal, I was able to locate the dad of the little boy I moved here to work with...I have to say, it was very refreshing to see a familiar and smiling face! It took about an hour to get to the Embassy from the airport an though I don't remember much of the ride in, I did manage to get in a few pics!!
![]() |
![]() |
| Domodedova Airport |
![]() |
| White House=Russian Parliment Building |
![]() |
| Sunset over the Moscow River |
![]() |
| Welcome to Moscow |
![]() |
| Hotel Moscow~Radisson Slavyanskaya Hotel & Business Center |
Looking back on how far he's come in the past few months is truly gratifying and an amazing thing to witness and be apart of! I believe wholeheartedly that, "when we treat man as he is, we make him worse than he is; when we treat him as if he already were what he potentially could be, we make him what he should be.” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe -
This quote couldn't be more fitting, for the work that I do, but more importantly for the families of the children I work with...getting parents to believe that their child is capable of more than they ever imagined is just another reason, why I love my job, but in turn is definitely the hardest part!
![]() |
| E and Me Before the Xmas Play at School |
My first trip to a grocery store here in Moscow was completely overwhelming...it was a store very similar to any of the big supermarket chains at home, (they are called Hypermarkets here). With everything being in Russian, it was extremely overwhelming and I couldn't help but laugh...how was I ever going to learn how to cook this year???? Not that I was expecting English descriptions, because that would have totally made me 'The Ultimate American Tourist' it merely would have been nice and made my first shopping experience here a lot easier and less overwhelming...thank goodness for pictures/symbols, and fruit!
I was/am still hoping to make/take this year as an opportunity to advance my cooking repertoire beyond Cereal, PB&J, Mac & Cheese, soup and pancakes, although, 120 days in and I am still wondering that same question:) It is now day 140 and I am happy to report that I have successfully made, Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon, poached a few chickens with steamed vegetables and baked Eggplant Lasagna...all of which were delicious for first time attempts!! Perhaps, I can and will learn how to cook here after all:)
I've since found a smaller, more intimate, albeit a tad more expensive (depending on what you want) grocery store (it sells, Giant Pink Lady Apples and Semi-Green Chiquitas (my favorites):) that I frequent at least once or twice a week on my walk home from school. Let me tell you, that carrying groceries in the snow and cold for a mile completely sucks! I hate it, but at the same time love it, because I no longer buy things I don't need and my belly/body are returning to my pre-college days...so I can't complain too much!! I try to only fit what will fit into my backpack as to avoid looking like a bag lady, and also because as previously mentioned walking a mile in the freezing cold is not a very fun experience and my biceps hate me afterwards! I don't necessarily pay attention to the prices of the food I put in my basket, because at the end of the day, I need to eat, and why not eat well and eat the things that are good for me:) I do take note of and pass by the $25.00 imported strawberries and $15.00 clementines and raspberries and hope that their prices will decline soon!!!
I was/am still hoping to make/take this year as an opportunity to advance my cooking repertoire beyond Cereal, PB&J, Mac & Cheese, soup and pancakes, although, 120 days in and I am still wondering that same question:) It is now day 140 and I am happy to report that I have successfully made, Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon, poached a few chickens with steamed vegetables and baked Eggplant Lasagna...all of which were delicious for first time attempts!! Perhaps, I can and will learn how to cook here after all:)
![]() |
| My Grocery Store (Ahz-booka-koo-sa) |
I LOVE READING MAPS...not!!!
Learning how to read a map again has been an overwhelming and a challenging experience, not to mention trying to read signs in different scripts and having to match the letters/symbols before proceeding to find my location, only to realize I've walked 20 minutes in the wrong direction...needless to say, it has left me wanting to scream and cry many times, especially when I am trying to find something or someone! I realized shortly after arriving, how much I truly depended and relied upon my iPhone to locate me on GPS and limit my chances of ever getting truly lost. I miss having my iPhone everyday and everything that came along with it, mostly because it made life so much easier...I might be splurging soon and buying myself one that will work here and in other parts of Europe!!! Dear MOM & DAD...please send $$money$$!!!!
HOPEFULLY ALL DOGS/CATS GO TO HEAVEN:
![]() |
| Waiting for the Metro:) |
The one and only thing I truly hate about being here, and the thing that I will probably struggle with until I leave here, is the number of stray animals that are just running around the city. Never in my life, have I seen so many stray dogs or cats...and I truly hate it and my heart breaks every time I see one. Now that it has turned cold, I haven't seen as many, so I am left wondering what happened to all of them...perhaps they are making their Hollywood debut staring in their own version of, All Dogs Go To Heaven! It goes without saying, that these stray dogs and cats make me miss my Maggie, Ellie, Coopie, Chole, and Mr. Cat, so much, but, they especially make me miss my Dad! His heart and love for man's best friend is something I truly love and cherish about him, and always will!
IT IS HARD TO BELIEVE THAT I HAVE ALMOST HIT THE HALF WAY PART OF MY YEAR AWAY!!! Though I miss home (A LOT) and everyone there and everything that I left behind, I am slowly settling into my new life here in Moscow. With Western Europe on my doorstep, I am having a great time planning trips and weekend getaways to all the places that I've dreamed about visiting for so long!
As I look back on my first 150 days here in Moscow, I am realizing just how lucky I am to be living here and living out this amazing dream, that is actually my life. I won't lie and say that every day is easy and that I truly love it here, because I don't! In all honesty, like everything else in life, some days are better than others...it is just how I choose to look at and embrace my current surroundings and situation, that instantly changes my perspective on life here in Moscow. I have definitely cried a tear or two after talking to people from back home, or after stalking FB and realizing what I am missing out on, or seeing my Mags on Skype going crazy at the window because she hears my voice! So instead of getting sad, I realize that this is exactly what I signed up for! I don't regret my decision to quit or leave everything and everyone behind, though I do miss everyone terribly! This experience is teaching me a lot about myself and has also introduced me to some wonderful people and places that if I would have stayed at home, I would never ever have had the opportunity to meet or see! It is also allowing me to catch up with old friends from past travels, which has been absolutely wonderful, and definitely given me reason to smile and appreciate everything that I am living and experiencing right now!!!
I can only hope, that my next 150 days here in Moscow are filled with as much happiness and exciting adventures as the first 150!
As always, stay tuned and smile!!! xoxoxo















So glad you took the opportunity to go out there. Sounds like you are learning a lot about yourself-it may be hard at times but you are making a difference in that little boy's life. I loved reading your blog. You are a great writer! You must have had great teachers! ;D Have fun....DIane
ReplyDeleteWonderful, wonderful Sammy! What an exciting life you're leading. You realize I'm living vicariously through you; can't wait to see what the months ahead have to offer.
ReplyDeleteFabulous photos too! HAVE YOU SMILED TODAY?????
Momma
xoxoxoxox
Sam, Thanks for sharing all your adventures -- trials and tribulations, joys and triumphs. What a fabulous experience! Look forward to hearing more from you!
ReplyDeleteJo