It's hard to believe that just over 3 months ago, I up and left my life to move across the world for a job, but more importantly, for an adventure of a lifetime! Life in Moscow is proving to be just that, an adventure filled experience with each day bringing about an opportunity for me to learn, grow and appreciate all the little things I never knew mattered to me so much (like the sky actually being blue, people actually standing in a queue, strangers actually making eye contact and smiling at one another, and not to forget the regular use of phrases like, please, pardon, and thank-you without being pushed out of the way:) until I moved to Moscow!
Prior to leaving, many questioned why and some were surprised and dumbfounded that I was actually serious about living overseas again, and in Russia of all places!!! Did I know anything about Russia?, honestly no!, except for where it was on a map, (thanks to my many hours spent playing, "Where In The World is Carmen Sandiego" as a kid), my adult obsession for stalking the best travel websites for deals on dream vacations/adventures, and some very basic historical facts (that I could barely recall from my high school years)...I basically knew nothing of where I was going; which is pretty naive, I know, but that is what made it all the more exciting!! Those who know me best, already knew why I needed/wanted to go...obviously it was because I have everything to gain and nothing to lose (right, Mom??):) and I don't want to be 75+ years old and looking back on my life and wishing that I would have done something as cool as living in Moscow for a year...so, here I am, 4,975 miles away from home, sitting in my apartment and trying to learn and embrace my new surroundings as much as I possibly can.
My first three months have been filled with many things to "write home about"!! I feel bad that I haven't done a better job with actually writing down my initial trials and tribulations that now make up my life here in Moscow; which is why I've started this page. I am going to try and post weekly, so stay tuned and welcome to: Cloudy with a Chance of Smiles=My Life in Moscow.Ru. I hope it brings a smile to your face while reading…ENJOY!!
YES, you definitely brought a smile to my face! a la "Oh to be young and ...". What an incomparable journey and adventure you are embarked upon! Reminds me of my father -- older than you now are -- who accepted a job with the American Medical Mission of the American Red Cross to establish hospitals in Roumania -- in 1917-18. The WWI was so crazy that the Mission went to Roumania via San Francisco, Tokyo, Manchuria, and ... the Trans-Siberian RR which was barely open then! His diary of the adventure is fun to read and I would be happy to share it with you electronically, if you have the time to read it.
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile keep it coming!!
all our love,
Jo